Wednesday, September 14, 2011

This is the Long and Short of It

Here's the long of it:

Joseph Conrad said that "writing in English is like throwing mud at the wall." Of course, he thought that because his native language was Polish . . . That aside, right now I totally agree with him. As you may or may not have noticed, I have written exactly 953 words of Reah in the first two weeks of its existence. And I wrote those on the first day.

In case you have wondered or are currently wondering, no, that wasn't part of the plan and, yeah, I'm pretty ashamed of myself. I have a few good reasons for why this occurred though:

  1. I am currently taking two British Literature classes (hence the Conrad quotation) and a Creative Writing class. Believe me, I have been writing (and reading too), just not in Reah.
  2. This semester I'm working as a writer for the school newspaper. The paper is published every other week and, being the overachiever that I am, I signed up to do two articles for the first publication. Like I said, I really have been writing.
  3. My homework load is much much heavier this semester than I anticipated. I have two classes which, as 100 level classes, I expected to be fairly straight forward and neither of them are. Due to that wonderful surprise, I was forced to drop a class. And a lot of my time is delegated just to keeping up with my homework.
  4. I found out that I will not be able to graduate until December of next year which means that I will not be able to apply for my Master's Program until Fall 2013 (as they only take fall applications). This has cut down on my motivation substantially.
  5. I had intended to use Sundays as my catch up days, but this semester, in order to give the Sabbath the reverence I feel it requires, I have decided not to use the Internet on Sundays. I'm also not doing homework on Sunday, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms.
However, justified as these reasons are, I don't think they excuse my negligence of this project. This project is a very important step for me to take toward my future goals. Regardless of the fact that my academic "next step" has been postponed a year, I'll still need to turn in a manuscript as part of my application. Now I just have more time to work the kinks out of it.

Here's the short of it:

No, I haven't been doing very well on this project so far. Yes, I'm going to work on it. No, you shouldn't expect me to suddenly be back on track. No, I don't expect to get right back on track. Yes, I will finish Chapter One very soon if I have my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment